Recipe | Elderflower Drizzle Cake




-- Here's a lovely summer recipe to 
get  your teeth stuck into! --

Yesterday the weather perked up and I felt like baking a summery cake. I think it's perfect as a dessert after a summer picnic or a barbecue. It's packed full of double cream and elderflower cordial and it serves 10 people, so even though it's a little small, you can all have a little slice each. (I think it's healthier to do that because of the amount of cream haha) 

I got the recipe off my mum's favourite magazine Style at Home, and I have to say I love the magazine too because of interior design ideas. The recipes in there are so simple that I couldn't resist this cake from the current issue. So really, this isn't my recipe so as a disclaimer, it belongs to the magazine but I'm going to share it with you. I hope you are enticed by my pictures and I did tweak the recipe a little based on what I had to make it what it's supposed to be.

Ingredients:
The Cake:
175g butter
175g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
175g self raising flower
The Filling:
350ml double cream (I had 284ml)
3tbsp elderflower cordial
1tsp lemon extract
2tbsp icing sugar
The Drizzle:
225g icing sugar (I put in 180g)
3tbsp elderflower cordial

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees/Gas Mark 5 and then grease and line 3 tins measuring 18cm with baking paper. Cream the butter, then add the caster sugar and cream together.
2. Add in the three eggs and vanilla extract and mix in until smooth and creamy. Measure the flour and sieve into the mixture, then take a wooden spoon and fold in the flour into the mixture.
3. Spoon the mixture into the three tins evenly and then bake for 20 minutes and check that all the layers of the cake are golden brown. Then leave to cool for 30 minutes.
4. Place the cakes on a wire rack. For the filling mix all the ingredients all the ingredients together until the mixture is thick.
5. Spread the filling onto each layer until even, then for the drizzle stir the cordial and icing sugar until smooth. If the mixture, like mine, turned to a sticky lump then add 3 tsp of hot water. That should work because it did with mine haha. Then grate some lemon zest on the top and voila.

And that's it! I hope you liked this recipe and that the pictures do it justice as there isn't much light in my kitchen. x

0 Comentarios

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*