The Alibi Book Club #26 | New Year Book Haul


My updated 'to read' list

I just finished reading Les Mis - which you can read about in my faves post here - and now my heart is empty. And that was the last new book I had from Christmas. So I needed a load of new books for the new year (if you can still call it that considering we're in February now lmao). I hit up my fave book store Waterstones and bought a few novels that were on my goodreads to read list!

I'm veeeery excited to read them and also stoked to share them with you guys, so let's get into it...

001: lisa owens - not working:
The description of this book really sold it to me. The thought of art galleries, pjs and entering comps on the internet makes me think this'll be a fun interesting read! It's sounds funny and I don't know why I picked it up sooner...

"Claire Flannery has had more than a few sleepless nights lately. Maybe she shouldn't have walked out of her job with no idea what to do next. Maybe she should think before she speaks -- and maybe then her mother would start returning her calls. Maybe she should be spending more time going to art galleries, or reading up on current affairs, and less time in her pyjamas, entering competitions on the internet. Then again, maybe the perfect solution to life's problems only arises when you stop looking for it..."

002: gail honeyman - eleanor oliphant is completely fine:
I feel like almost everyone has read this book now and I'm one of the last ones to grab a copy. But like the previous book mentioned, it sounds like a lovely lighthearted read about the struggles of life haha.

"Eleanor Oliphant has learned how to survive - but not how to live. She leads a simple life. She wears the same clothes to work every day, eats the same meal deal for lunch every day and buys the same two bottles of vodka to drink every weekend. Eleanor Oliphant is happy. Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled life. Except, sometimes, everything. 

One simple act of kindness is about to shatter the walls Eleanor has built around herself. Now she must learn how to navigate the world that everyone else seems to take for granted - whilst searching for the courage to face the dark corners she's avoided all her life. Change can be good. Change can be bad. But surely any change is better than... fine?"

003: holly bourne - it only happens in the movies:
This one could be considered a 'young adult' fiction but I feel like this is another cutesy romance adult novel. What drew me to it was the title, and the fact it doesn't sound like your standard romance novels with mishaps and predictability.

"The greatest love story ever told doesn't feature kissing in the snow or racing to airports. It features pain and confusion and hope and wonder and a ban on cheesy cliches. Oh, and zombies... Bad boys turned good, kisses in the rain, climbing through bedroom windows... It only happens in the movies. When Audrey meets Harry, it’s the start of a truly cinematic romance – or is it? Audrey knows that Harry is every movie cliché rolled into one. But she still chooses to let him into her heart..."

004: margaret atwood - alias grace:
There wasn't much info in the blurb (what a funny name) of this book. But having read The Blind Assassin for Christmas, I wanted to try another novel of Atwood's and this sounded very intriguing plus it's around 500 pages and that's my kind of book!!

"Grace Marks. Female fiend? Femme fatale? Or weak and unwilling victim? Around the true story of one of the most enigmatic and notorious women of the 1840s, Margaret Atwood has created an extraordinarily potent tale of sexuality, cruelty and mystery."

I also filmed the haul with a few added extras, so go ahead and watch it below if you want to see more!


What books have you guys bought recently?

Follow

2 Comentarios

  1. I just watched Alias Grace on netflix and really enjoyed it. I bet the book will be even better! x


    rhymeandribbons.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw it on Netflix!! Definitely will give a watch after I’ve read the book :) x

      Delete

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*