The Alibi Book Club #27 | Eleanor Oliphant Book Review


Why you need to read this book

Hello new section on my blog! If you kids haven't noticed, the words 'book club' now feature on my top bar with all the other lovely categories that I talk about. So now, you can go on there and see aaaaaall the book posts I've ever written to find new books to add to your 'to read' list. *Woooo*

And in this post, I want to talk about a book that I've just recently finished (and shared with you guys in my book haul here) - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.

I'll tell you, I went away feeling all the feels. Shocked for one. And feeling like I've judged this book as a purely lighthearted read. But there's so many serious topics to it, that even though it is funny in places, you feel for the main character: Eleanor.

"Eleanor Oliphant has learned how to survive - but not how to live.

She leads a simple life. She wears the same clothes to work every day, eats the same meal deal for lunch every day and buys the same two bottles of vodka to drink every weekend. Eleanor Oliphant is happy. Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled life. Except, sometimes, everything.

One simple act of kindness is about to shatter the walls Eleanor has built around herself.

Now she must learn how to navigate the world that everyone else seems to take for granted - whilst searching for the courage to face the dark corners she's avoided all her life.

Change can be good. Change can be bad. But surely any change is better than... fine?"

Right from the start, Eleanor's routine starts to be shaken up. And like the synphosis says, it starts from one act of kindness. The novel follows the theme of love and kindness and what it is to have unconditional love for someone or something. It’s about wanting to fit in and moving on from the past.

We see her go on a rollercoaster of emotions. Without revealing too much, Raymond, a colleague in her office, plays an important role in helping her realise that. Her mother (who appears to be a myth with all the things she's allegedly done in her life) crops up a few times - as Eleanor has to call her every Wednesday evening.

I could go on forever about this book, but I'll just say this: Eleanor opens up about her past and we understand why she needs a routine. There's a serious and sad reason behind everything. And yes you will smile in parts, but as the book draws to a close, there's a few shockers that make me love this book even more.

And, I can tell you, I WILL be picking this up again...

Have you guys read this yet?

Follow

2 Comentarios

  1. Great blog post by the way! I’ve seen this book about online but this is the first review I’ve read. It sounds like it’s an emotional, and heartfelt book. So pleased you enjoyed it, thanks for sharing. I’ll have to check out your book club section sometime too. :-) xx

    Helen | Helen’s Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! That's the reason why I picked it up as well haha x

      Delete

Thank you guys for all your lovely comments! *all the hugs!*